Fr. John Domin
1923 - 2017
Tue 6/13 10:30 am
Laguna Pueblo was founded by Acoma, Zuni, Isleta and Queres people from Santa Fe.
Laguna builders under the direction of Friar Antonio de Miranda constructed San José de Laguna Church in 1699. The entrance to the white mission was built of stone laid in adobe mortar with mud plaster on the inside and outside walls.
The beautiful white façade with a distintive undulating edging on a two bell belfry.
Side of San José de Laguna Church with a stepped doorway on the right.
Paintings along the walls of the nave feature birds resting on forms representing tombs. The altar is carved from native pine and painted by the Laguna santero. The painted canopy above the altar is made of animal hide and decorated with native American symbols.
View toward the choir loft. The beautifully carved beams supporting the roof were carried from a distance of many miles.
The cedar lattices are part of the original ceiling.
6 - 7
San José de Laguna Church, Laguna Pueblo, NM
© 2016 Sanctuary for Sacred Arts