Fr. John Domin
1923 - 2017
Tue 6/13 10:30 am
Gate and façade of San José de Garcia, constructed by the faithful, with permission from Bishop Pedro Tamarón in 1776. The church was built of hand-rubbed adobe and fine straw.
The balcony over the entrance is common to several churches in New Mexico and can be reached only through the choir loft.
The wooden bell towers on the front of San José de Garcia are a modern replacemets. The bells are named Gracia (Grace), which has a sweet tone for summoning the faithful to Mass and Refugio (Refuge), a somber tone announcinging the death of a parishioner.
San José de Garcia del Rio de las Trampas, constructed in 1776, is in the shape of the cross and has numerous altars.
4 - 4
San José de Garcia, Las Trampas, NM
© 2016 Sanctuary for Sacred Arts