Fr. John Domin
1923 - 2017
Tue 6/13 10:30 am
The wall enclosure and gate around El Santuario de Chimayó, a pilgrimage site for hundreds of years. Built in 1813 in honor of Our Lord of Esquipulas, also known as El Cristo (the Black Christ), the shrine is known as a place of healing.
View of the wall and one of El Santuario de Chimayó church towers.
View of the wall and one of El Santuario de Chimayó. View of the wall and gate around El Santuario de Chimayó church towers. Don Bernardo Abeita is the architect of the 1813 church.
Entrance to the El Santuario de Chimayó atrio, the first of the sacred spaces the pilgrim enters.
Closer view of the enclosed yard of the atrio, which serves as garden, cemetery and passage to the shrine.
A little chapel protects El Posito, a hole in the floor from which the healing earth is taken. Pilgrims leave votive lights and a collection of devotional items in the chapel as evidence of their faith.
Stations of the Cross, a crucifix and votive candles.
7 - 7
El Santuario de Chimayó, Chimayó, NM
© 2016 Sanctuary for Sacred Arts