Fr. John Domin
1923 - 2017
Tue 6/13 10:30 am
A Hindu temple, it was built under the reign of Suryavarman II.
According to research done by the École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO), the "foundation date is uncertain but the quality of decoration places it, with Thommanon (a temple to the north), between the extreme limits of the Baphuon and Angkor Wat style, from the end of the 11th to the middle of the 12th centuries".
Chau Say Tevoda is located just east of Angkor Wat's east gate. The temple is dedicated to Shiva and Vishnu.
This is part of the cruciform terrace that links the temple to the river.
Although the temple is in the process of being restored, but is still in a ruinous state. Seeing these massive stones, one wonders how they were originally lifted, several stories high stories high in some of the temples, by laborers in the 12th century.
Attempts at restoration can be seen here. The work of renovating Chau say Tevoda may be easier as Thommanon, considered a twin temple as it was constructed in the same design around the same time, has been extensively restored.
The same shot of the temple but at a short distance away.
Highly decorated figures carved into the wall.
A causeway behind the temple guarded by lions.
8 - 9
Chau Say Tevoda, Cambodia
© 2016 Sanctuary for Sacred Arts